Sea Hawk FGA.6 Wv908
The Royal Navy Historic Flight’s Sea Hawk FGA.6 WV908 was built at Baginton, Coventry, in 1954 as an FGA.4 variant and assembled at the company’s Bitteswell airfield before being delivered to the Royal Navy in 1955. She served initially with 807 Naval air squadron and then 898 Naval air squadron embarked in HMS Ark Royal and HMS Bulwark and ashore at Royal Naval Air Station Brawdy.
After conversion to FGA.6 standard at Fleetlands in 1958 she flew with 806 Naval Air Squadron until 1960 when she was reassigned to a training role with 738 Squadron at Royal Naval Air Station Lossiemouth. In 1962 the aircraft was sent for storage at the Royal Naval Aircraft Yard Belfast before being loaned to the RAF Apprentices School at RAF Halton in 1971 for use as a systems trainer. She was then acquired by Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, which bears the name HMS Seahawk, and restored to flying display condition in 1978 before transferring to Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton to join the Royal Navy Historic Flight in 1982.
In 1989 she underwent a complete refurbishment at British Aerospace’s Dunsfold works which was completed in 1996. She is now resplendent in the markings she wore when serving with 806 Naval Air Squadron on front line service in HMS Albion.
RNHF efforts are currently, with limited resources, focused on the Swordfish and then the return to flight of the Sea Fury FB11. Once these goals are achieved the Sea Hawk will be reviewed to establish the work and financial commitment required to return her to flight.